Rev. Mr. Seth Wasnock to be Ordained to Priesthood

On Saturday, June 6th, Bishop Joseph Bambera will lay hands upon Seth Wasnock, ordaining him to the sacred order of priesthood. The Ordination Mass, beginning at 10am, will be held at St. Peter's Cathedral in Scranton. All are welcome to attend this most joyful and festive occasion! This liturgy will also be broadcast live on CTV on Saturday at 10am and will be re-broadcast on Tuesday, June 9th, at 8pm on CTV.


Rev. Mr. Seth Wasnock shared the following insights as he prepares for priestly ordination:

1. Discuss your calling to the priesthood – when you first considered a priestly vocation; how you experienced “God’s call;” any particular persons, places or events in your life that inspired/nurtured your vocation to the priesthood.
I began thinking about a possible vocation to the priesthood when I was in high school, probably when I was 16 or 17 years old. One of the biggest and best influences was our parish pastor at the time, Father Pat Albert. I remember him taking me to a vespers service one time and I got a chance to meet and talk with some seminarians. Our parish was very active and I spent a lot of time there in church and was involved in all facets of parish life. I believe at that time the seed to a priestly vocation was planted and the door was open for me. I originally entered the seminary right after I graduated from high school and spent two years at Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary in Philadelphia and then returned home to attend the University of Scranton. I remained active in my home parish and I also had the great influence of the Jesuit priests at the University. I stayed close to my church and attended Mass regularly. After graduating from Scranton in 2009, I re-entered the seminary to pursue my vocation to the Diocesan priesthood.

2. What are you most looking forward to in your priestly ministry?
I believe that the priesthood is really about being there for the people. Administering the sacraments to them, especially in celebrating Mass and the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I look forward to being a part of people’s lives, being there for them in all circumstances and bringing Jesus to them in their happiest moments and their saddest, too.

3. What is your vision of the Catholic priesthood?
As a priest, I know I will continue to grow in my faith, getting to know and trust in Jesus more and more, and falling in love with Him more. I hope and pray to be a living example to the people that our religion today is not an old and sterile religion. It is alive, and I want to make religion and Jesus relevant in their lives.

4. What would you say to a man who feels called to the priesthood and is hesitant about taking the next step?
My best advice would be something I believe was the best advice given to me during my discernment process and that, initially, you are not really called to the priesthood. You are called to open yourself up to the possibility of a priestly vocation. By developing a solid prayer life you will be able to discern better and consider more fully that God may be calling you to be a priest. You are being called just to make that next step, which may be considering the possibility of entering a seminary. Look at a vocation as a day-to-day process; don’t look all the way down to the end of the road. Be open, trust, pray and get to know Jesus better. In the end, you becoming a priest is ultimately up to God. Don’t be overwhelmed. Take the time that is needed to realize if this is what God is calling you to do.