Meet Seminarian Nicholas Jennings

Home Parish: St. John the Evangelist Parish, Honesdale 

Year of Study: College I at Cathedral Seminary House of Formation, Douglaston, NY

*Why did you decide to enter the seminary?
 I decided to enter the seminary because I felt God calling me to go there. I have always felt that God may be calling me towards a vocation to the priesthood, but did not decide to pursue the call until my senior year of High School. Once I contacted Father Don and visited the seminary, I felt an instant peace and knew that God was calling me to enter. So, I decided to apply to the seminary, and now I am halfway through my first semester. So far things are going well, and I am happy with the decision I made.

*What is the seminary like?
A normal day at the seminary starts with 6:45a.m. Morning Prayer followed by holy hour. Then, because I am a first year college guy, I commute to St. John's University in Queens, NY. I am in five classes, three at St. John's, and two in the seminary itself. Between classes I usually complete homework assignments, study, or take a nap. In the evening there is Mass at 5:30p.m., followed by dinner as a community. After dinner we go back in to the chapel and pray evening prayer, followed by the day's announcements. After announcements there is time to socialize, study, rehearse for choir, or play sports. The day goes by in what seems like the blink of an eye.

*Did you get to attend any Papal events while Pope Francis was in New York?
Pope Francis being in America was a moving experience. Fortunately, we were able to attend Vespers at St. Patrick's Cathedral and Mass at Madison Square Garden with the Holy Father. In both places you could truly feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in the room. It was truly a feeling like no other. I am so blessed to have been able to attend both Papal events.

*What does Pope Francis' visit mean to you?
Pope Francis' visit to the U.S. certainly impacted my life and vocation. Seeing the way the Holy Father spreads joy and enthusiasm about the church wherever he goes is enough to make anyone smile. Due to my age, he is the first Pope that I am able to understand the issues he talks about. It was great attending Papal events, not only as a college freshman, but also as a first-year seminarian. Pope Francis is not just a great role model for priests and religious, but for every single man and woman on Earth. One thing in particular that I found inspiring is when Pope Francis asked us to pray for him. I took this as a message of humility, knowing that as I (God-willing) advance through the seminary years I will need the help of those around me not only physically but spiritually as well. The Pope was not afraid to admit that he needs prayers in front of millions of people and I admire him for this. We too must not be afraid to ask for prayers because we all need them.