Meet Seminarian Robert Dogal


Home Parish: St. Ignatius, Kingston

Year of Study: Pre-Theology II at Cathedral Seminary House of Formation, Douglaston, NY

*Why did you decide to enter the seminary?
I finished college with a degree in Criminal Justice and was working for a year. I was pretty happy with my life, but I felt like the Lord was calling me in a different direction. I began discerning, but I did not believe I had the courage to take the next step in my discernment and enter the seminary. Speaking with Fr. Don Williams, Diocesan Vocation Director, and Fr. Alex Roche, the Assistant Pastor at my parish, I was able to get the reassurance I needed. They helped me come to the realization that I only needed to take one step at a time. Entering the seminary does not mean that you will become a priest. The seminary is a place that helps men pray and discern in order to respond to the Lord by asking the question, “What are you calling me to do with my life, Lord?”  With the knowledge gained from speaking with both Fr. Don Williams and Fr. Alex Roche, I felt comfortable enough to take the next step and enter seminary. After entering the seminary in the fall of 2014, I haven’t looked back since.

*What is the seminary like?
The seminary focuses on four things: developing a solid prayer life, studying and academics, your own personal human formation and growth as a Catholic man, and service work in the community. A normal day consists of morning and evening prayer as a community. During the day, we attend Philosophy and Theology classes.  We also have personal time to study and work out. In the evening, we gather again for Mass and dinner.  Mass and dinner are followed by studying, playing sports, or both. Overall, there is a great sense of community here and an eagerness to grow in prayer and virtue. At the seminary we continue to ask the question, “What is God calling me to do with my life?” We work to answer that question through our daily activities.

*Did you get to attend any Papal events while Pope Francis was in New York?
I was able to attend evening prayer at St. Patrick’s Cathedral and Mass at Madison Square Garden. Every day all around the world, religious and laity pray the liturgy of the hours. To be able to participate in this with Pope Francis was a unique experience and a very special moment for me. It was truly unforgettable and something I am so grateful I had the chance to experience.

*What does Pope Francis' visit mean to you?
At Mass in Madison Square Garden, the message from Pope Francis proclaimed loudly a truth that is often easy to forget. Pope Francis said, "God is living in our cities. The Church is living in our cities, and she wants to be like yeast in the dough. She wants to relate to everyone, to stand at everyone's side, as she proclaims the marvels of the Wonderful Counselor, the Might God, the Eternal Father, the Prince of Peace." This message is true for New York and it is also true for Scranton. The Lord is at work in our cities and also in our lives. The message for me was to always be attentive to the workings of the Lord in the ordinary things of life.