Meet Seminarian Charles Rennekamp

Home Parish: St. Thomas More Parish, Lake Ariel

Year of Study: Pre-Theology I at St. Mary’s Seminary and University, Baltimore, MD

*What are some of the factors that led to your decision to enter the seminary and discern the question of a vocation to the priesthood?
I was always very involved in my parish growing up.  I was an altar server, part of the choir, and a member of the youth group. When I was in seventh grade, a friend who was confirmed with me told me that I would make a good priest.  I began to consider it and received a lot of support from friends and family when sharing the possibility with them. Throughout high school, I began to seriously discern a vocation to the priesthood in prayer. Times in adoration were especially important to leading me to the seminary. In these prayer periods, I gave Christ my heart with all the fears and hopes that I felt when imagining myself as a priest.  Over time, I noticed a sense of peace that allowed me to apply to the diocese and enter the seminary.

*What do you like most about being a seminarian?
I really love praying, studying, and relaxing with my brother seminarians.  It is very helpful to have friends who are pursuing the same vocation as me and share many of my same fears and hopes moving forward. We've shared both fun times and difficult ones.

*What is the role of prayer in your life?
Prayer is the most important part of my life.  My relationship with God continues to grow through beautiful and difficult experiences, and I am slowly falling more in love with him.  I want my relationship with God to form everything I do, though I am not a saint yet.  Prayer is what continues to draw me forward in my vocation, and I pray that if it is God's will, I will become a holy priest, a real man of prayer.

*What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about a vocation to the priesthood?
Any man who is thinking about a vocation to the priesthood must learn to listen and trust in prayer.  This is very difficult, but it is what nourishes a vocation. God usually does not speak in a loud voice, but often gently tugs on the heart. He also does not reveal everything at once, but calls us to trust him as he guides us one step at a time. I am still not sure I'm called to be a priest, but I know God has led me to the seminary and is still leading me as I continue forward.