Meet Seminarian Shawn Simchock

Home Parish:   Queen of Heaven, Hazleton


Year of Study: Pre-Theology II at St. Mary’s Seminary and University, Baltimore, MD

*What are some of the factors that led to your decision to enter the seminary and discern the question of a vocation to the priesthood?

As a child, whenever someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always said a priest. It was not until around 2010 when my mother got sick that I thought I might be called to some religious life. It was throughout the entire year of taking care of my mother that I seriously thought about the idea and asked for God’s guidance. Many people throughout this time kept telling me that I had the qualities that a priest should possess. A major factor played out in being present for my mother’s anointing of the sick. I found being a witness to that sacrament one of the most beautiful and fulfilling things one could ever experience. After my mother passed in 2011, I once again pushed the thoughts and the call to the back of my mind because I truly did not feel like I could do it. It was about a year later when the thoughts came back, and once again I was seeking God’s guidance in what I was supposed to do. I finally talked to my pastor and felt I was called into the Permanent Diaconate program. I started the program, and it was through that first year in the program when I started to realize I was called to do more. I brought my thoughts to my pastor, and he felt that I would make a good priest. Even in time of my mother’s illness and death, which was extremely hard on me, I heard God calling me probably for about the tenth time in my life. I knew I could not ignore the call this time. There are only so many times that you can ignore the call because it keeps coming back until you say ‘yes.’ 

*What do you like most about being a seminarian?

I love everything about being a seminarian, but the best part is learning everything about the Catholic Church. There is so much that we do not know. I also like being able to go out and helping the less fortunate in the community. There is a tremendous feeling of joy knowing that you are making a difference in the lives of others. I really enjoy being in a parish where I am able to help out in all different areas of parish life and get to interact with the parishioners.

*What is the role of prayer in your life?

Prayer is an essential part of my life where I am able to communicate with God. Beginning and ending every day by praying the Divine Office and attending daily mass are important prayer times for me. They allow me to keep myself focused and continuously in touch with the Holy Spirit. I believe I would be a “lost sheep” if prayer did not exist in my life. 

*What are some of your hobbies?

Traveling is my number one hobby. I also enjoy spending time with friends and family, watching baseball and movies, going out to eat, watching Penn State football in the fall, and spending some nice quiet time for prayer and reflection. 

*What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about a vocation to the priesthood?


The first thing you must do is listen to the call from God. There are only so many times you can ignore that call because it is never going to go away. If you keep hearing that call, do not bottle it up. Instead, speak to your pastor, another seminarian, or the Vocation Director. Let those individuals help you understand what seminary life is all about. Take a visit to the seminary so you can see what life is like there. Become and remain involved in your parish. Prayer is very vital; continue to pray about this call that you are hearing and never be afraid of it. The call will never go away if you keep ignoring it. Just keep an open mind and trust in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.