My First Year in Seminary

Fellow seminarians at Cathedral Seminary House
of Formation, Douglaston, New York.
I find it difficult to believe that a year ago, almost to the date, I was accepted by the Diocese of Scranton to be their newest and youngest seminarian. Looking back, when they tell you that times flies in the seminary, they are certainly not kidding. From the first day of morning prayer, to convocation on the last day, and with the Pope visiting NYC, flying to Rome with other seminarians, and all the other blessings in between, my first year has come to a close.

The transition from Honesdale High School to St. John’s University and Cathedral Seminary was not as overwhelming as I originally expected. Starting from the first day, we were out exploring New York City (Be careful, NYC is not exclusive to Manhattan. The other New York seminarians will call you out on that, in a friendly way of course). From going to a small town to the bustling streets of Queens, I found I adjusted quite well. Of course I was homesick the first two weeks, but after that I felt quite comfortable driving with friends to get a late night Saturday snack, or roaming Times Square in December. According to my new friends at the seminary, I was an honorary New Yorker.

Myself with other seminarians
Not only was I an honorary New Yorker and Diocese of Scranton Seminarian, but I also was now a college student. The undergrads at Cathedral Seminary, with the exception of a few, attend St. John’s University in Queens. The required major is Philosophy, but you are free to double major or minor in other areas that interest you (Keep in mind, whatever you choose, has to be able to be completed in four years). The classes are a decent size with approximately thirty other students in your class. Depending on class schedules and requirements you have to fill, you may or may not have other seminarians in your class. So far, both semesters of my first year I had at least one class without other seminarians. 

Along with academic studies, you also have a set schedule for prayer. The day begins at morning prayer, bright and early, at 6:45 a.m. The next scheduled thing that everyone has is evening Mass at 5:30 p.m., followed by dinner and evening prayer in the chapel. After that, the set prayer schedule is over. This leaves time to go back to your room to study, play pool in the common room, play sports in the gym, and so on and so forth. After these activities around 10 p.m, Rob Dogal and I would go to one of the four chapels to pray Night Prayer as seminarians from the Diocese of Scranton. This was a great way to build fraternity and also unwind after a long day. That is one of the best things about the seminary; you build such close bonds with the other men that you truly feel like brothers.

Cathedral Seminary House of Formation

Pilgrimage to Italy 
There is also a lot of time for fun at the seminary. I was able to continue my interests in music by being in the seminary choir, cantoring at Masses, and playing clarinet with other guys there that play musical instruments. We also were able to attend Vespers and Mass when the Pope came to NYC in the fall. The Papal events were such an incredible experience, being a part of something so big and seeing how alive the Catholic Church is. Then during spring break, myself and others from the seminary went to Assisi and Rome, Italy on a pilgrimage. We got to have authentic Italian cuisine, walk to Eternal City, tour the ancient churches, and so much more! It was such a great experience that I know I’ll remember for the rest of my life.

Rob Dogal and I at the ugly Christmas sweater party

Halloween gathering

Christmas Concert 
All in all, my first year was, well, great! It went by extremely fast, but was worth every second. I am excited to see what is in store for my sophomore year at the seminary. Until then, I get to work,  relax, and enjoy time with family and friends.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Nicholas Jennings, a seminarian for the Diocese of Scranton, just finished his first year at Cathedral Seminary House of Formation, Douglaston, New York. He is from Honesdale, and is a member of St. John the Evangelist Parish. He loves to sing and spend time with his family and friends. 

You can listen to Nicholas singing "O Holy Night" by clicking on the link below: 
Nicholas Singing "O Holy Night"