Seeing Pope Francis from the "Peripheries"

by Ryan P. Glenn

Pope Francis has certainly captured my attention!

Not only have I been moved by the Holy Father's profound words and actions during his apostolic journey to Cuba and the United States, but I have also been surprised by a lesson I learned during the Pope's visit to America.

The seminarians here at St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore were fortunate enough to receive tickets to see the pope at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C. There, Pope Francis would celebrate mass and officially canonize Junipero Serra, recognizing this 18th century missionary priest as a saint for the Catholic Church.

The faithful gather in front of the Basilica
There was great excitement among the seminarians leading up to our trip- we were going to see the Pope, after all!

However, as we journeyed to Washington, the day began to take unexpected turns. Before entering the grounds where Mass would be held, we waited for three hours under the hot sun to go through the security check-point.

Once we arrived inside the church building, we came to the disappointing realization that the seats had been over-booked. We were relegated back outside, this time onto the front steps.

Outside, we were hot, tired, and thirsty. We were denied the place of honor and, in a sense, forgettable. We felt cast aside. I found myself growing angry and impatient.

Yet, it was through this disappointment that I realized the Holy Spirit might be teaching me a lesson. I could either choose to continue to be upset, or I could recognize the incredible blessing it would be for me just to catch a glimpse of Pope Francis.

Pope Francis arrives to celebrate Mass
I also realized that my inconvenient experience was temporary. After the Mass, we would return to the seminary where I could cool off, drink plenty of water, and relax in comfort and safety.

This is not the experience of our brothers and sisters who find themselves fleeing war, violence, or economic injustice in places like Syria and Iraq, central Africa, and Latin America. These refugees and immigrants experience hunger, thirst, and discomfort on a daily basis. They are the ones who are truly on the peripheries.

It was good that I was forced outside the basilica. There, I was reminded of the gifts that I often take for granted. Only on the outdoor steps could I recall the hardships facing so many men, women, and children in our world that continue to persist. My temporary placement within the "peripheries" during the Pope's celebration of Mass reminded me to shift my focus so that I could pray for, support, and stand in solidarity with those who suffer.

This is the lesson I learned from seeing Pope Francis from the "peripheries."
____________________________________________________________________
Ryan Glenn with Franciscan Brother Zach Burns, TOR
(Bro. Zach is originally from St. Patrick's Parish, Milford, PA)

Ryan P. Glenn, a seminarian for the Diocese of Scranton, is beginning Third Theology at St. Mary's Seminary in Roland Park (Baltimore).

There, Ryan enjoys reading and studying about the vision and mission of the Church in light of the Second Vatican Council. As part of his pastoral formation, Ryan serves as a 5th grade catechist and member of the R.C.I.A. team at St. Joseph Parish in nearby Cockeysville, MD.