Do I Have the Qualities?

There are many men who wonder if they have the qualities to be a priest. Fr. Brett A. Brannen, author of To Save a Thousand Souls, came up with a list of qualities that he thinks would make someone a good priest. 

1. I love Jesus Christ, and I thirst to bring him to others. 
2. I strive to be a believing, practicing Catholic Christian.
3. I desire and try to live a life of prayer. 
4. I desire and try to serve others. 

 Volunteering at St. Joseph's Festival in Scranton L-R: Father Don Williams, 
                                          Diocesan Director of Vocations and Seminarians, Sister Maryalice Jacquinot, IHM,                                           President and CEO, St. Joseph's Center,  Father Jeffrey Walsh, Diocesan Episcopal 
   Vicar for Clergy, and seminarians Rev. Mr. Joseph Mosley and Bill Beechko. 

Seminarian Rob Dogal on a Mission Trip with students from Holy Cross High School, Dunmore.

5. I have felt a desire to be a priest, though it is sometimes stronger than at other times. 
6. Others have told me I would make a good priest.
7. When I read and listen to Scripture, sometimes I hear the call to priesthood. 
8. I want to live a virtuous life. 
9. I like being around people.

Fr. Don Williams talks to attendees at Quo Vadis Days 2015.
10. I am intelligent enough to complete graduate-level work.
11. I am joyful, and I have a good sense of humor. 

Seminarian Ryan Glenn (left) dressed as seminarian Shawn Simchock (right)
when he was in high school.  

12. I think I have a "priest's heart."
13. I believe I have the self-mastery to be a good priest. 
14. Generally speaking, I have demonstrated stability in lifestyle.
15. People who know me would say I am a Christian gentleman.
16. There have been events and signs in my life that seem to point to a calling to be a priest.
17. I can accept success and failure without losing my peace.
18. I am trying to be truly open to the will of God in my life. 
19. I would make an excellent spouse and father if God called me to the vocation of marriage.


If any of these indicators ring true in a man's life, he should pray about talking to his Pastor or a member of our Vocation Team about a possible vocation to Diocesan Priesthood. 
Feel free to call 570-207-1452 or email vocations@dioceseofscranton.org.