Young Church Alive at World Youth Day

A few days ago, I was shown a video on YouTube from the Night of Mercy Festival at World Youth Day’s Mercy Center. I had the privilege to be at that event which included, among other things, Eucharistic Adoration presided by Bishop Robert Barron. I could go on at great length describing that evening, the very real presence of Christ in the Eucharist and in the gathered community who united more than 25,000 young members of the Church in praise and adoration. Every detail remains very real in my memory.

Night of Mercy at Tauron Arena in Krakow, Poland 
After watching this video, what I recall above all else is that group of thousands who surrounded me. While I was having a profound experience of God’s presence, I could not help but watch the young adults around me. I could see conversion happening in real time. I could see surrendering and healing happening right before my eyes. I could see real thanksgiving being expressed through word and song. But I also experienced a peace-filled silence in what would later that night become the loudest place in Krakow.


After the event, I was walking back to the hotel and thought about the critics of young adults—those who say my generation is self-absorbed, out of touch with the values express by the Church, unable to quiet down, ungrateful, or unable to worship in a “fitting way.” These things, without a doubt in my mind, are also sometimes said with a pessimistic eye to the future of the Church. I thought to myself, “I wish those people were able to experience what I just experienced.” Well, thanks to technology, now they are. I would challenge those pessimists to watch what I saw that night in Krakow, Poland.  I would challenge them to find one person in that video who could not quiet down, who was not expressing in their own way deeply grateful hearts, who did not look like their worship was moving them closer to their God.

As I said that night, “The young church is doing just fine.” It’s time to give young adults a break and let them do what the Spirit of God is moving them to do for the Kingdom of God. They won’t disappoint.
___________________________________________________________________________


Bill Beechko is a seminarian for the Diocese of Scranton. He is from Mayfield and a member of SS. Anthony and Rocco Parish in Dunmore. He is in Third Theology at St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore, Maryland.