A Grace-Filled Summer


As we begin a new academic year of seminary, I can’t help but think back with great gratitude in my heart for the good Lord’s gift of a truly graced-filled summer. I approached each day the same way I try to do every day in the seminary—in humble gratitude for the gift of time, for with time we all get the opportunity to know God better in hopes of falling ever more deeply in love with Him. But as many of us all too well know, life in the “real” world, as opposed to that of the seminary, often demands that we move from one thing to the next without ever really pausing to think about and absorb the wonder of the moments we experience in the here and now. So I am deeply thankful that I was approached to write this brief reflection, as it gave me the opportunity to actually think and absorb how momentous this summer has been in my journey towards the priesthood.

“For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.” (Matthew 6:21). The words of Jesus from Matthew’s gospel are a fitting starting point for this reflection, for I found a treasure of immeasurable value in the parish of St John the Evangelist in Pittston, my parish of assignment for nine weeks.  The treasure of St John’s parish manifest itself to me in what I call “the three G’s”:  gospel, generosity and gratitude. 

Students from St. John's Youth Group at their Summer Bazaar 
The Gospel of Christ is alive at St John’s, living and breathing in the hands and hearts of all who so proudly and wonderfully call it their home. I found a place where the Gospel message rings true:  from the dynamic and dedicated pastor Monsignor Jack Bendik, to the committed and professional pastoral team and administrative staff, to the many welcoming and compassionate volunteers who give of their limited time to serve the needs of the poor and underprivileged in the Greater Pittston area, this parish believes in the transformative power of the Gospel. “God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him may not perish, but may have life everlasting” (John 3:16).  These are not just words at St John the Evangelist parish; they reflect a genuine commitment to living the Christian way of life. I saw the Gospel living in the relieved look of young parents coming out of a visit with their sick child to the parish free pediatrics clinic. I saw the Gospel living in the warm and welcoming smiles of the many volunteers who carried sorely needed groceries for the many needy families who visited the food pantry weekly. I saw the Gospel living in the dignity of a funeral Mass made more personal in the words of a priest who put in the time and effort to get to know the deceased and their families just a little bit more.



Every expression of the Gospel abounds in a deep sense of generosity.  From the countless hours so many parishioners give to the operation of the Kid’s Clothes Closet, Food Pantry, parish bazaar, Vacation Bible School, Bereavement Support Group and Family Choir; to the seemingly endless stream of bags, boxes and cans of food that daily pour into the parish office for the food pantry; to the funds raised for missionary communities and outreach ministries, one could not help but be in awe of the boundless generosity of so many parishioners in the gifts of their time, talent and treasure.

Blessing before going to One Bread, One Cup at St. Meinrad's Abbey

All of this took place within a profound spirit of gratitude. Monsignor Bendik is a man who truly appreciates the power of the spoken word, and, in his own words, loved to make “a short story long!” In the many words I heard him spoke throughout the day, the two I heard him say most often are two of the most transformative in human language:  thank you.  I saw numerous expressions of humble gratitude from the many parishioners I visited on communion calls to area hospitals, nursing homes and shut-ins. I saw gratitude in a simple blessing bestowed on a faithful, lonely wandering man by one of the parish priests or deacons. I saw gratitude in the shared meals, warm fellowship and uplifting conversation of day-to-day rectory life. I saw gratitude in the eyes of the children and teenagers who sang from the depths of their hearts and souls of the love of Christ during Vacation Bible School, One Bread One Cup youth liturgical workshop we attended at St Meinrad’s Abbey in southern Indiana and Light the Fire diocesan youth rally at Misericordia University. I saw gratitude in the everyday simple and humble expressions of Christ’s love that I was so blessed to witness each and every day.

Light the Fire Youth Rally at Misericordia University 

All of us at One Bread, One Cup with Steve Angrisano

“For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.”  I will treasure always the inestimable gift of nine summer weeks at an amazing parish home in Pittston.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Kevin Miller is a seminarian for the Diocese of Scranton. He is from Wilkes-Barre and is a member of Saint Nicholas Parish.

After retiring from serving thirty-two years in the military, he is now in Theology I at Pope St. John XXIII National Seminary in Weston, Massachusetts. 

Miller (far right) is pictured at World Youth Day in Krakow, Poland with seminarians Jonathan Kuhar and Andrew McCarroll.